fiscal representation

Insights into what is involved in buying, selling & living in Portugal

Fiscal Representation

You may have heard already that the Portuguese Government now has taken serious measurements to ensure that taxes like I.M.I. (Rates or council tax), Mais-Valía (Capital Gains Tax) and I.M.T. (Transfer tax or Stamp duty) are really paid and collected. For the non Portuguese property owner, they have now enforced a law that stipulates that every non Portuguese individual or company purchasing, owning or selling a property in Portugal must appoint a Fiscal Representative and this appointment must be registered in the local Tax Department. Read more →